Examples of a Phishing Email
Phishing emails and text messages often tell a story to trick you into clicking on a link or opening an attachment.
1) “We have noticed suspicious activity with your account. Please login to the link below.”
2) “We have noticed there is a problem with your account or payment information. Please confirm some personal information.”
3) “Your account is on hold because of a billing issue. Click on the following link to update your payment details.”
4) “You are eligible for a government refund.”
5) “Click here for a coupon for free …etc.”
What to Do If You Suspect Phishing:
1) If you receive an email or text message that requests you to click on a link or attachment, always use caution. Ask yourself, “Do I have an account with this company or know the person who contacted me?
2) If the answer is “No,” it could be a phishing scam. Go back and review the tips on how to recognize phishing and look for the signs. If it looks suspicious, report the message and then delete it.
3) If the answer is “Yes,” contact the company using the contact information from the website of the company–not the information in the email. Attachments and links can install harmful malware.
How to Report Phishing:
If you received a phishing email or text message, report it. The information you provide can help fight cybercrime.
Step 1. If you received a phishing email, forward it to the Anti-Phishing Working Group at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you got a phishing text message, forward it to SPAM (7726).
Step 2. Report the phishing attack to the FTC at ftc.gov/complaint
Phishing emails pose a significant threat to healthcare organizations and the sensitive patient data they handle. Being vigilant and learning how to spot phishing attempts is crucial for safeguarding patient information and maintaining trust. Remember, when in doubt, it’s always better to err on the side of caution and report suspicious emails to your IT department or security team.
Have any questions?
Contact the experts at MedSafe. MedSafe is the nation’s leading one-stop resource for outsourced safety and compliance solutions in healthcare.
Toll-free: (888) MED-SAFE